Long hair cats are no different that short hair cats. They just require a bit more grooming that some of the shorter hair breeds. It's important that you brush them frequently to prevent matting and clumps of tangled hair in their coat. Longer breeds like Maine Coons are notorious for getting matted hair if not brushed regularly.
Should I use an undercoat brush?
You will always want a coat that gets to the undergrowth of your cats fir. Your cat is going to be able to efficiently lick and clean their top coat, but it's the hair that's underneath that requires the most attention. Any brush that you buy for a longer hair cat should have rakes or combs long enough to reach down to the undergrowth.
Do I need to bathe my cat with long hair?
Not usually. Unless your cat has found themselves getting into something that has made them unusually dirty, it's best to leave the bathing to your cat. These are apex predators that are fully capable of cleaning themselves, but more domesticated house cats will benefit from your help with their really long coat.
The best brushes for cats with long hair
We're going to go through several options that will definitely help you keep your kitten looking fresh and their hair untangled.
6. Pet Grooming Tool - Sided Undercoat Rake
- 2-in-1 dual head - Start with 9 teeth side for stubborn mats and tangles and finish with 17 teeth...
- Absolutely safe to your pet - No-scratch rounded outside teeth gently massage the pet skin....
The undercoat rake is a great tool for brushing cats with longer fur. Often we think of a brush in the terms of human hair, but what you really want is a tool that can get beneath the top coat and pull up the hairs that are trapped underneath. This tool works perfectly for that.
The steel claws and overall design of the tool can look a little menacing, but I assure you're not going to harm your cat with this despite it's shocking appearance. This rake is often welcomed by cats as it gives their skin a good sensation that they otherwise wouldn't be able to feel with all the hair on their body.
5. Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
- ★ THE PERFECT BRUSH TO GET ALL NASTY MATS OUT OF YOUR PET’S FUR – Hertzko’s Slicker Brush...
- ★ GET RID OF MATS WITHOUT HURTING HER - The bristles are FINE bent wires designed to penetrate...
I have always had a love-hate relationship with slicker brushes... love because they're effective and comfortable, and HATE because they are the absolute biggest pain in the butt to clean, especially without damaging the thin bristles, or bending them in such a way that they poke the animal uncomfortably.
This brush is 10x more comfortable for my cat, while still pulling a decent amount of shed hair. Cleaning it is AMAZING - just press the button, pull the pad of hair off, and it doesn't fill up until after nearly a full session of brushing.
4. Glendan Cat Brush Slicker
- Easy to Clean Pet Grooming Brush Removes Mats,dander and trapped dirt,Rotatable Slicker Brush-Easy...
- Pet Slicker Brush doing massage for your pet is good for preventing skin disease and increasing...
This simple deshedding brush has tiny little combs with protective covers that will allow you to get deep inside of the fur on longer hair cats. It's pretty easy to clean as the hair that collects can simply be pulled away and tossed in the garbage.
There are lots of claims that pet slicker brushes help improve the health of your cat, but I've found them to just be really great tools to keep your cats longer hair looking nice and healthy. It's a very straight forward tool and you can't go wrong with a brush like this.
3. Hertzko Soft Pet Brush For Cats With Long Hair
- ★ PERFECT PET BRUSH TO REMOVE FUR, & LOOSE HAIR - Hertzko's Soft Brush for dogs and cats gently...
- ★ GENTLE & SAFE – Soft and gentle plastic bristles are manufactured with ROUNDED ENDS so it...
What I really like about this brush is that it has long, hard plastic bristles. These are great for getting deep into cats with longer fur and they don't break as easily as the metal versions that you might purchase.
The ergonomic handle and simple design makes this a great tool for any cat owner with longer hair or even shorter hair for that matter.
2. Double-Sided Pet Brush for Cats
- ALL-IN-ONE GROOM BRUSH: With one side featuring pins & the other soft bristles, this is the...
- PIN SIDE FOR DETANGLING: One side of the grooming utensil features small metal pins that glide...
This is the best of both worlds a brush with metal combs on one side and a soft bristle brush for removing hair from your cats top coat on the other. Love this comb combination ! Very comfortable grip and easy to use. I’ve tried many other combs and they were either too big or too small or just didn’t seem to get tangles out easily.
The size of this brush is perfect for all cats and especially cats with longer hair. You can't go wrong with this one size fits all brush for cats with longer hair.
1. Hertzko Pet Brush For Detangling
- ★ THE PERFECT BRUSH TO GET ALL DIRT AND LOOSE HAIR OUT OF YOUR PET'S FUR - Hertzko's Brush gently...
- ★ GENTLE & SAFE – Pins are manufactured with ROUNDED ENDS so it won’t damage or scratch your...
This is a great brush to get all of the undercoat and dead hair out of your cats longer fur. The Hertzko's Brush gently removes loose hair, and eliminates tangles, dander and trapped dirt. The large metal bristles work great for very long hair cats like Maine Coons and other breeds.
Often the smaller combs aren't enough to really dig deep into the hair of cats with longer fur and this brush is absolutely perfect for that. The ergonomic handle is great and the large metal combs make it extremely easy to clean when you're done.
Last update on 2020-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API